As you may be aware Western Australia has joined the majority of other states and territories with alignment with the Work, Health and Safety (WHS) legislation. The WA WHS legislation came into effect on March 31st 2022, which replaces the WA Occupational Safety and Health ACT 1984 and Occupational Safety and Health Regulations 1996. The now current legislation is:
- Work Health and Safety Act 2020;
- Work Health and Safety (General) Regulations 2022,
- Work Health and Safety (Mines) Regulations 2022 and,
- Work Health and Safety (Petroleum and Geothermal Energy Operations) Regulations 2022.
- Criminal Code Amendment (Industrial Manslaughter) Bill 2017
So, what happens now? If you have a robust system in place already not too much. However, no matter what system you have in place, a review (gap analysis) is required to ascertain any gaps in your organisations safety management system between to the previous legislation and the now current WHS legislation.
So, if you would like an independent assessment or review of your current safety management system to ascertain how your system stacks up against the current legislation (a simple gap analysis), drop us a line!